Monday, October 5, 2009

Left Right

Another day passed by. I still wondering around to find myself. I guess I left it somewhere. I went to a workshop organized by the Amnesty International Malaysia near my place last Saturday. The workshop was great. I really enjoyed it and gained so many new experience, knowledge and friends. It teaches about our basic human rights and how we could fight for it. We should also respect other people right and do not use our right exceeding others.

But what I would like to emphasize from the workship is that they are too much condemning the government. Well, I am not much into politics as well but in whatever reason they keep saying that the government is corrupted and so forth. They blame that the government system that caused so many problems among the people in this country. They also questioned the rules and law being implemented to the citizens and they thought it as "nonsense".

First of all, why do we keep blaming the system? Why do we need a system? We are not a computer or a robot which need a system in order to make sure that they could move and respond. Racism is being highlighted and again, the govt is the one to be blame. No way! I came from a multicultural family background. My mother is a Chinese Muslim and my father is a Malay. I did not face any difficulty during my childhood due to different culture in my life. Instead I found it very interesting as I could celebrate so many festivals and a better understanding among two culture.

Then, the issue of "Hak Ketuanan Melayu" or the "Malay Ownership of Land" is brought up by one of the participants. He said that in this era, the title is no longer applicable as Malaysia has grown up to be a multiraces and multicultural nation. I totally disagree with this as according to history, Chinese and Indians was brought in by the British, not by demands from the Malays. Therefore, whether you like it or not, you want it or not, Malaya/Malaysia is still the land belong to the Malays. So if they want to rebel or ask for compensation for their ancestors who were brought in here, please go to the British Embassy and ask from them.

Next, the issue of why Malaysian is being prohibited of going to Israel. It was even stated in the passport that we cannot go to Israel. They questioned that if Muslims are not allowed to go there because of different religion belief, then it is fine. But how about those non-Muslims? Is is fair to them as just because of the majority are not allowed, so they rest of the people should follow? My answer to them is, when Malaysia is seeking independence from the British, it is stated clearly in the constitution that the official religon of Malaysia is Islam. Plus, Israel is not even being recognized by the American as a country. It is too long for me to eloborate here how Israel got the land for their people which will involves the Americans, British, Germany, Palestine and all. I said that if you do not want the citizenship of Malaysia, you can always get a different nationality which can allow you to go and have your good time in Israel.

Yes, I learn a lot from the workshop. There are things that I can use it in the future and some of it are better left behind. Thank you very much to the other participants and the rest of the facilitators. I really apprciate the knowledge shared throughout this period of time. If I am being ask if I want to join this again in the future, my answer would be... Why not?

1 comment: